Hero Image

Lodging Bonds

Lodging residential tenancy bonds

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, you must lodge residential tenancy bonds (also called rental bonds or security deposits) with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). Generally, the maximum amount allowable for a residential tenancies bond is four weeks’ rent.

To lodge a residential bond, generate a bond lodgment form in RTBA Online.

Submit the form and bond payment to the RTBA within 10 business days of receiving the bond. For more information, visit our Lodging the bond page.

The RTBA can accept bond cheques and money orders made payable either to you or the RTBA. The RTBA cannot accept bonds paid in cash.

Generally, you do not have to deposit a rental bond in your trust account. However, if you receive a cash bond from a tenant, you must deposit the money into your trust account and send a trust account cheque to the RTBA for the bond amount.